”‘86% of marketers use both paid and organic tactics in their social media strategies’
The continuous changes in social media algorithms and the overall decline in organic reach has resulted in many organisations opting for social media advertising to extend the reach of their video content. It is estimated that 70% of Instagram posts aren’t even seen due to the constantly changing algorithms – similar to Facebook, whose organic reach has declined a lot in recent years. This changing social media dynamic has brought about a need for organisations to focus their efforts on social media advertising in an effort to maximise the potential of their video content. However, the most successful social media strategies are those that tie their organic and paid social media campaigns together. These campaigns are most likely to see the best return on investment as there are many ways that organic content supports a paid approach.
Below, we will discuss the benefits of both organic and paid social media strategies:
Organic Social Media Marketing:
Organic marketing on social media is crucial as it allows you to develop a connection with your audience. It is a great opportunity to humanise your brand and put a face behind it while showing people your brand’s mission and what drives you. If you consistently post valuable content across your social media channels, you will engage and grow your audience. Each post you put out there is an opportunity to increase the value of your brand in the eyes of your audience.
For best success posting organically on Facebook, for example, consider the following tips for success:
- Start conversations – tap into the emotion of your audience and get them talking which will hopefully encourage them to return & engage with your content in the future.
- Post consistently.
- Test various posting times to find out when your audience is most active and only post when your audience is online. Typically, B2B posts perform best between 9am-2pm Tuesday – Thursday, while B2C performs best at noon Monday – Wednesday. Your Facebook Page Insights tool will be able to assist you further with this research.
- Post high quality video content and keep in mind, the longer you keep your audience engaged in your video content, the better your ranking will become.
- Incorporate hashtags into your posts. This is a great way to get your content seen by like-minded people and it also allows you to join conversations.
We have a guide on social media specs for 2020 which you can view here.
Paid Social Media Marketing:
Putting a budget behind your video content on social media can help amplify its reach, allowing you to get the content in front of your target audience. This is a crucial step in maximising the potential of your video content online. It is important to consider which social media channel is best suited to your audience and focus your efforts there. The most popular platforms for advertising on social media are LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter which each have different requirements and relatively different audiences.
There are many different types of campaigns available to social media marketers, for example:
- Remarketing, which involves marketing to people who have already visited your website, and then promoting relevant content based on the content they have sought out or interacted with on your website.
- Lookalike audiences, which allows you to upload customer lists to advertising accounts and target other users who closely match the profiles of your existing customers.
- Targeting people based on their interests.
Organisations should test some of the many variables available to them in their paid social media campaigns to determine the most effective campaign for them. With a small budget, you can quickly measure amplification impact of your campaigns and use the data available to you to improve the performance of your campaigns.
Digital strategy is a service we offer at Laundry Lane – if you would like to learn more, please fill in the contact form below and we will get back to you soon.
We aim to get back to all inquiries in the same business day.